Are you looking for an exciting career with an organization that allows you to utilize your professional marketing and social media experience while making a direct impact in the local community? If so, consider applying to the City of Harrisonburg's Tourism Marketing & Social Media Specialist position!
The Tourism Marketing & Social Media Specialist is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $19.37 - $22.28 per hour (equivalent to $40,289 - $46,342 annually); however, an exact salary will be dependent upon the selected applicant's qualifications. The ideal candidate for this position will assist in the promotion and marketing of Harrisonburg attractions, businesses and events while cultivating a favorable public image of the City.
As the Tourism Marketing & Social Media Specialist, you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop and implement Harrisonburg Tourism's social media plan and initiatives to coincide with the Tourism & Visitor Services Manager's marketing plan, including making daily updates to social media outlets to market Harrisonburg as a tourism destination;
- Develop ad materials for print, radio and online marketing;
- Negotiate ad buys and oversee ad placement in select print or online publications;
- Work to update the photography library with current high-resolution photos of area amenities;
- Work with local partners to create and develop unique story ideas that market Harrisonburg as a tourism destination, including submission to local and national media outlets;
- Assist with coordinating and planning special events and projects;
- Track and clip press and media hits for stories relevant to Harrisonburg tourism then share the articles via website and social media, as well as direct sharing with partners included in the media clip;
- Evaluate alternative methods of disseminating information and recommend the most appropriate cost-effective method for implementation, such as print, electronic, and/or video media;
- Prepare text and oversee graphics for publications, brochures, visitor guides, promotional items and the website;
- Assist in editing all written materials, including blogs, newsletters, advertisements, website text, press releases, and more;
- Track statistics related to advertisements, social media accounts and advertisements, app and website use;
- Monitor tourism websites and make changes and/or additions based on current packages/specials as well as news and media updates;
- Assist in the upkeep, updating and editing of the Harrisonburg Tourism apps;
- Prepare and send monthly consumer e-newsletter;
- Prepare materials for use in presentations to the public and participate in trade shows, conferences, tourism campaigns, media or public relations conventions, and more;
- Travel, as needed, to meetings and conventions to connect with CVB/tourism industry partners and/or press and media contacts;
- Research and develop recommendations for identifying tourism products that are feasible and appropriate for the City of Harrisonburg;
- Attend weekly staff meetings with the Manager in order to become knowledgeable of tourism and center issues and provide assistance, as needed;
- Compile a monthly report to highlight work completed and accomplishments;
- Assist the Travel Specialists, as needed, including working hours to cover the Center being open to the public;
- Oversee the work of interns and work with the Manager to assign projects to the interns.
Physical Requirements: This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, lifting, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, public administration, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire date.
- Experience (professional or personal acceptable) using PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Working knowledge of WordPress, InDesign, Canva and Adobe Illustrator preferred but not required.
- Availability to attend work events outside of normal business hours, as needed.
- Bilingual abilities preferred but not required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to use:
- Marketing research techniques and methodologies;
- Communications methodologies for disseminating information and publicizing programs, events and services.
- General knowledge of and ability to use desktop publishing and other computer programs for graphic, art design, social media posts, advertisements, newsletter and PowerPoint presentations.
- Some knowledge of:
- Rules and guidelines pertinent to the tourism industry;
- Laws and policies governing the release of confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to:
- Develop and implement creative ideas and solutions, including writing and editing materials for publication and composing and editing articles and other informative and educational materials;
- Analyze the impact of tourism products and events;
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the tourism industry representatives, the general public, City employees and other agencies.
The successful applicant for this position will be subject to a DMV record review and must complete a satisfactory drug screen and criminal background check.
To Apply: In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a complete a City of Harrisonburg online employment application, to include previous work experience and education history. The first review of applications is expected to begin by July 23, 2021. This position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted 07/14/2021)
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.