The Head Chef is responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, preparation and maintenance of quality standards, sanitation and cleanliness, training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, portion, cost control, sanitation and cleanliness.
- Ability to smile and provide a high level of customer service under stressful conditions.
- Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of F&B Restaurant Management.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods and other equipment and food storage areas.
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Check and maintain proper food holding temperature control points.
- Estimate amounts and cost of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedure
- Instruct cooks or other team members in the preparation, as well as cooking of foods.
- Actively engage with servers and hosts and other team members on menu education, tastings and updates.
- Work with restaurant managers to plan and price menu items, establish portion sizes, and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Supervise or coordinate activities of team members engaged in food preparation.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards
- Schedule personnel, as required, for anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed, when and as needed, and labor cost objectives are met.
- Place vendor orders, as necessary.
- Receive all products with the designated receiving policy.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Assist with employment and termination decisions including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, evaluating, and disciplining kitchen team members, as appropriate.
- Stay current on food trends and proactively work with Executive Chef to develop specials and seasonal menu updates.
Tools & Technology
- Blenders, choppers, dicers, graters, peelers, processors, and/or slicers.
- Grill, sandwich press, oven, flattop, etc
- Kitchen and food thermometers
- Personal computers
- Five or more years of experience in varied kitchen positions including food preparation, line cook, fry cook, and expediter.
- At least six months experience in a similar capacity.
- Able to communicate effectively with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel, and guests.
- Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to nine hours)